MelindaB

Reading Maketh a Full Man...

More to come...

The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature (Canto)
C.S. Lewis
Deep River: The Life and Music of Robert Shaw
Keith C. Burris
Daring, Trusting Spirit
John De Gruchy
The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
John Thavis
The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
Orlando Figes

Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks - Zack Hample I really liked this book! I have always been rather disinterested in sports as a rule, especially team sports that get so much hype and that people seem to obsess about. But I picked this book up at the library and found it a very engaging read. It made me want to watch a baseball game so I could see the "behind the scenes" world of calling pitches and watching runners and figuring out who is doing what on the field and why.The author covers the basics, but explains why things happen as they do in a baseball game. I never realized how much strategizing went on, the pitcher and catcher "discussing" through signs what type of pitch should be used on the current batter, how strategy differs for the infielders versus the outfielders, etc. So I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in baseball! There was one chapter I skipped, that on stats and how to calculate them, but perhaps a real baseball geek would revel even in that.