MelindaB

Reading Maketh a Full Man...

More to come...

The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature (Canto)
C.S. Lewis
Deep River: The Life and Music of Robert Shaw
Keith C. Burris
Daring, Trusting Spirit
John De Gruchy
The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
John Thavis
The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
Orlando Figes

Brothers and Friends: The Diaries of Major Warren Hamilton Lewis: An Intimate Portrait of C.S. Lewis - W.H. Lewis Warren Lewis kept a diary for most of his adult life. This book is pulled from thousands of pages of his diaries and consolidated into a manageable book. I very much enjoyed reading the diary entries, and found a wonderful view into the Lewis family through Warnie. As I mentioned in my review of C.S. Lewis' diaries "All My Road Before Me", I enjoyed reading about the same event and then looking it up in the other brother's diary!A sweet and interesting habit that both brother's had was to give their diary to the other brother to read. In this way the other brother could be brought up to date with events and happenings in their lives. C. S. Lewis writes some interesting descriptions of Warnie, Warnie reads his brother's diary, and then writes in his own diary about how shocked he is to see how his brother sees him! It is wonderfully entertaining.Equally wonderful are the passages about Joy Davidman Gresham, how she came to be friends with both Warnie and Jack, and how Warnie viewed her as both a friend and eventually a sister-in-law. Anyone who calls Joy a cold blooded gold-digger, out to marry C.S. Lewis and infiltrate his "men only" world needs to read Warnie's warm expressions of love for Joy. She blessed not only Jack Lewis, but his brother Warnie. And I believe was loved dearly by both of them.