MelindaB

Reading Maketh a Full Man...

More to come...

The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature (Canto)
C.S. Lewis
Deep River: The Life and Music of Robert Shaw
Keith C. Burris
Daring, Trusting Spirit
John De Gruchy
The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
John Thavis
The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
Orlando Figes

Continuity and Discontinuity (Essays in Honor of S. Lewis Johnson, Jr.): Perspectives on the Relationship Between the Old and New Testaments - John S. Feinberg Read this book first in 1993 when a friend and I read it together and then discussed it. We were trying to make sense of how different denominations arrived at differing and sometimes contradictory views on the Christian church, Israel, promises in the Old Testament to Israel, etc. This book was the first book to open my eyes to the various theological " scaffolding" systems that are used to make sense of the many and mighty themes found in the Bible. I recommend this book very highly. While written by theologians for other theologians (they routinely include Greek words as the basis of discussion points), it is not inaccessible. Difficult, yes, but not impossible. The premise of the book is to take theologians on two different sides of a point, and then let them discuss the same issue from their various perspectives. Dispensational theologians on one hand, and Covenant theologians on the other side respectfully and meaningfully discuss how the Old Testament relates to the New Testament. What impressed me most in a quick re-read before I handed it off to another young friend who is interested in understanding different theological perspectives, was that these men are genuinely "gentlemanly" and respectful. The volume is dedicated to Dr. S. Lewis johnson, a mighty man of God, a theologian and gentleman of the highest calibre. ( http://www.theopedia.com/S._Lewis_Johnson) I knew and respected Dr. Johnson very greatly. I read this book years before I would meet Dr. Johnson, and it was only after his death in 2004 that I came across this book again and realized that it had been dedicated to him. The men who wrote and edited this book were all taught by Dr. Johnson. That they agree and disagree with such kindness is a credit I think to Dr. Johnson's example of how we are to love our Christian brothers, even when we may disagree with them on certain points of theology!