MelindaB

Reading Maketh a Full Man...

More to come...

The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature (Canto)
C.S. Lewis
Deep River: The Life and Music of Robert Shaw
Keith C. Burris
Daring, Trusting Spirit
John De Gruchy
The Vatican Diaries: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Power, Personalities, and Politics at the Heart of the Catholic Church
John Thavis
The Whisperers: Private Life in Stalin's Russia
Orlando Figes

Wherever I Wind Up: My Quest for Truth, Authenticity and the Perfect Knuckleball - R.A. Dickey, Wayne Coffey I had always wanted to know what a knuckleball was, and why not that many pitchers throw them. This book was worthwhile in explaining that. It is kind of a "spiritual discipline via the knuckleball" approach to life.The book is not terribly well written, however R.A.'s life is interesting and he shows great perseverance against great odds and many setbacks. The section where he swims (or tries to swim) across the Missouri River was fascinating. He goes into the river arrogant and sure of his ability to swim the river. He struggles in the river and almost drowns. When he emerges, he has a renewed thankfulness for being alive. It changes his attitude quite literally, and interestingly enough his pitching is transformed as well.